Monday, May 16, 2011

Vegan Pozole

Being half Mexican, I grew up eating a lot of Mexican foods. One thing I always loved was Menudo, but I don't really ever remember eating Pozole. To be honest, they are pretty similar to me, I just eat them for the hominy! Pozole is made with pork and Menudo is made with beef, and my version doesn't have a meat substitute so I suppose this could technically be either soup. :)
Like I said, for me, it's all about the hominy! When eating Menudo when I was little, all I wanted was the broth and the hominy. I didn't even know what the tripe was (cow stomach) until I was older, but to me, it resembled brains. Has anyone ever had it? If you haven't, google a picture, it has the weirdest texture (warning though, it's gross looking)! From what I remember, it was gooey/jiggly and to a child, it looks like brains! My family also put pigs feet in their soups, although it was part of my culture, it disgusted me! OK, enough grossing everybody out! This is a way to enjoy the deliciousness of these soups without any of the animals!
If you've never had hominy before and you love Mexican food, I recommend it! It has so much flavor on it's own, it makes something like this really simple soup delicious.

Ingredients:
4 cups vegetable broth
2 poblano peppers
1 medium onion
4-5 garlic cloves
2 T Ancho chili powder
1 T Mexican oregano
1 (29 oz) can of hominy

Toppings:
Lime juice
Cilantro
Avocado
Crushed tortilla chips

First, you want to roast the skins of the peppers, until the skins are completely charred. While they're roasting,  dice the onion and press the garlic and saute in your soup pot with water or a little oil until tender. Once the peppers are roasted, let cool, peel the skin, de-seed, and chop.

Then, add the peppers into the pot along with the vegetable broth. Then you'll want to blend/puree the soup. You can either do this in a blender or with an immersion blender. Once pureed, add in the spices and hominy and let simmer for about 20 minutes.

Top with desired toppings. The lime and cilantro are pretty much a must. You can also serve with tacos such as corn tortillas with refried beans and avocado. You can dip the tacos into the pozole, they go great together!

2 comments:

  1. I like hominy too! When I was little, my mom used to put them in everything. Never really tried pozole before but it sure does look good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it's my favorite! And yeah, this soup is just an excuse for me to eat hominy, sometimes I even add in an entire extra can of hominy!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, please leave a comment!