Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Everyday Breakfast and Deconstructed Falafel

You know those people that skip breakfast all the time? Well, I'm the complete opposite. I don't get people that skip breakfast, why do they do it?! It's so good! So many reasons to eat breakfast, plus, don't they get hungry?? I eat basically the same thing every morning, it's a variation on this smoothie:

Ingredients:
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup quick rolled oats
1/2 banana
1 T chia seeds

Sometimes I do different fruits, or add peanut butter. Other times I eat it on toast, just spread on some pb, add sliced banana, sprinkle with chia seeds and drink with a cup of almond milk! I never get sick of it and I never skip breakfast.

Now, onto dinner! They recently closed our favorite Mediterranean place, which has left us falafel-less for quite awhile.. It's a sad life to live without falafels. So, tonight I decided to make a sort of deconstructed falafel with a cucumber cilantro sauce. It didn't taste exactly like a falafel, but it was really good!

Ingredients:
1.5 cups cooked rice (I used a mixture of brown and wild)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can chickpeas, rinsed
2 T dried parsley
3 small cloves garlic
1 small tomato, chopped and seeded
1/2 T lemon juice
1/2 tsp cumin
salt to taste

Sautee the onion, chickpeas, and parsley in a little olive oil until tender.

Add in the garlic, tomato, lemon juice, cumin, and salt and heat until slightly crispy.


Cucumber Cilantro Sauce:
1/4 cup Veganaise
3/4 cup cilantro
1/4 large cucumber, chopped and seeded

Puree all ingredients in food processor. I felt like this needed some salt and a little kick, so I added in some hot sauce.

Serve the chickpea mixture on the rice and drizzle with the sauce.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, please leave a comment!