Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Feta (ish?) and "Ice cream"

Yesterday when I was with my friend Dawn, she mentioned how she recently made a really good salad that had a ton of stuff in it. Well, I eat salad every day for lunch and I'm always trying to find ingredients to add to it to make it my entire meal. I decided I wanted to make Vegan Feta, but I've never actually had feta.. (I may have a long time ago, but I have no recollection of it.) So, basically I just waned to add some tofu to my salad to add a good protein source to help keep me fuller longer. I've seen some recipes for vegan feta, but for some reason the idea of adding moist tofu to my salad didn't appeal to me, I wanted it to have a different texture since there are already so many ingredients in a salad with a ton of moisture. So, this is what I came up with (and I'm sure it doesn't taste anything like feta, but I thought it was good and I didn't eat again until my post-workout snack!)


Ingredients:
1/2 block firm tofu (pressed and crumbled)
1 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar (I'm sure balsamic could be used, I just love rice)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon oregeno
1/2 teaspoon basil
salt and pepper to taste


Add all ingredients and mix:




Then spread out onto greased cookie sheet and bake for about 20 minutes at 350° then let cool:




This was a great addition to my salad which also contained butter beans, Upton's bacon, carrots, cucumber, and sunflower seeds!


After dinner tonight we made banana "ice cream", which is one of our favorite desserts to make. I've seen it on many blogs, but the first place I saw it that made me try it was from the Happy Herbivore. The first time I tried this, I really didn't think it was going to be good. But it gets to be soo creamy like ice cream! And you can add whatever you want, like frozen blueberries or strawberries, peanut butter, or chocolate chips like we did! The only problem is that it gets really melty pretty quickly.. Make sure you use really ripe presliced bananas (even if they look TOO ripe, as you can see one piece is extra brown in my photo). 




I really recommend trying this, it's very good!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, please leave a comment!